These Chicken Skewers are crispy on the outside and so juicy inside. The marinade tenderizes the chicken and adds tons of flavor to this chicken. It’s no wonder this easy chicken recipe has been a family favorite for years.
Breading chicken is one of my favorite ways to prepare chicken because it adds crunch and helps keep the chicken from drying out, just like with our Crispy Chicken Sandwiches and Chicken Parmesan. It also makes the chicken reheat nicely.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Skewers Video
If you enjoyed this video for skewered chicken, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel (P.S. Click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video). Thank you for subscribing and welcome to Natasha’s Kitchen family!
This Breaded Chicken Skewers recipe comes from my Aunt Tanya in Washington. Seems like everyone in our family has adopted these chicken skewers. It’s perfect for parties or your next family meal. If you take them off the skewers to serve, they resemble Popcorn Chicken. The kids gave this recipe two thumbs up.
Ingredients for Chicken Skewers
The list of ingredients for chicken skewers is short and simple and you may already have everything you need in your refrigerator and pantry:
- Chicken – we use chicken breast but you can substitute with chicken thigh meat that has been trimmed of fat. It’s just too much work for me. Chicken breast requires almost no prep.
- Bread crumbs – we use Italian-style bread crumbs, pictured below.
- Mayonnaise – adds wonderful moisture and tenderness to the chicken. If you don’t want to use mayo, you can also use ranch but go light on the salt since ranch has more salt in it than mayo.
- Mrs. Dash – this is our favorite salt-free seasoning. Any all-purpose salt-free seasoning will work here. you could also use the garlic-flavored dash.
- Salt & Pepper – simple seasonings are all you need.
- Oil – to sautee the skewers. I use extra light olive oil for nearly all of my cooking, but canola oil, vegetable oil, or any high heat neutral oil will work great.
- Skewers – I used 12 small wooden skewers. Make sure your skewers fit the length of your skillet comfortably so you can flip them easily.
How to Make Skewered Chicken
- Cut chicken – cut into 3/4″ wide pieces and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Season with salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash. Stir in 3/4 cup mayo.
- Marinate – cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight (although I have also breaded and fried right away without any marinating and they still worked well).
- Skewer the chicken onto the wooden sticks.
- Breading – Pour bread crumbs on a large plate or platter. Roll the chicken skewers in bread crumbs until evenly coated.
- Sautee – In a large non-stick pan, add enough oil to generously cover the bottom and place over medium heat. Saute the chicken skewers for 3 minutes per side or until well browned on all sides and 165˚F at the thickest part of the chicken on a thermometer. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up excess oil.
Pro Tip: When threading chicken onto skewers, don’t pack them too tightly and keep the flat sides face in one direction for even cooking in the skillet.
You’ll want lemon wedges to squeeze over the fried chicken. It adds brightness and freshness to the chicken. You can also pair these with your favorite dipping sauces such as:
- Marinate – you can marinate overnight for super tender and flavorful chicken then bread and fry before serving.
- Keeping Skewers Warm – You can make them earlier in the day and warm them up in the oven in a baking dish before your party or dinner.
- Refrigerating – Once skewers have been sauteed and cooled, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I hope these Chicken Skewers become a new favorite for your family for years to come. It’s a chicken recipe that’s worth discovering.
Breaded Chicken Skewers
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 28 minutes
These Breaded chicken skewers are crispy on the outside and juicy inside. A crowd pleasing chicken recipe! P.S. Make sure the length of your skewers will easily fit inside your skillet.
Cost to Make:
breaded chicken skewers
Servings: 12 skewers
Cut the chicken into 3/4″ wide pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash. Mix in 3/4 cup mayo then let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers. Try to have the flat sides facing in one direction for even cooking.
Pour bread crumbs on a large plate or platter. Roll the chicken skewers in bread crumbs until evenly coated.
In a large nonstick pan, add enough oil to generously cover the bottom, set pan over medium heat. Sautee the chicken skewers for about 3 minutes per side, flipping until golden brown on both sides and the internal temperature reaches 165˚F on an instant read thermometer.
Transfer to a paper towel lined platter to absorb any excess oil then serve.
Breaded Chicken Skewers
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 198
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Vitamin A 59IU1%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
We first published this chicken skewer recipe in 2010. It’s an oldie but a goodie. This is a photo from back in the day. I still have that plate!