Love Carrot Cake? These delicious Carrot Cake Cupcakes are the best handheld version of the classic dessert. Covered in rich cream cheese frosting, these moist cupcakes are made for sharing.
When spring time rolls around, I start to crave all things Carrot Cake. Especially with a thick later of Cream Cheese Frosting!
Why this Recipe Works
The search for the tastiest ever carrot cake cupcakes is over. These single serving treats check all the boxes. Here are a few reasons these are the absolute BEST!
- Sweet carrot flavor. Using freshly shredded carrots makes all the difference!
- Super moist. These cupcakes stay soft and moist–even after storing.
- Hint of cinnamon. A pinch of cinnamon spice compliments the sweet cupcakes beautifully.
- Cream cheese frosting. This frosting is full of fragrant vanilla and tangy cream cheese.
I love these carrot cupcakes all year long. But they’re especially wonderful for Easter! Easy to make, transport and share with friends.
Try our carrot cake muffins for another tasty holiday treat.
Carrots. Buy whole carrots and shred them yourself at home for best results! Store bought shredded carrots don’t contain as much moisture and can make cupcakes taste drier.
Vegetable oil. Make sure to use a vegetable oil with a mild flavor. (Do not use olive oil or peanut oil here!) The oil keeps the cupcakes extra moist, for days!
Vanilla. Try these with my How to Make Vanilla Extract if you have time to plan ahead!
Cream Cheese. When making frosting, use the blocks of full fat cream cheese here!
Pecans. Learn how to toast pecans in minutes with our simple method. Provides great flavor in the cake!
Tips and Tricks
- Use a stand mixer or beaters. An electric mixer is the easiest (and fastest) way to make fluffy spreadable cream cheese frosting.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way. Avoid overfilling the cupcake tins. These cupcakes don’t dome up on top as much as traditional chocolate cupcakes. The heaviness from the carrots keeps them flatter. Still delicious but much easier to frost.
- These can be made with or without nuts. Simply omit the chopped pecans from the batter for a nut free carrot cupcake.
- Love carrot cake? Use our recipe to make a traditional layer cake, or make carrot sheet cake!
- Cookies. Try our carrot cake cookies for the same great flavor in a chewy cookie!
Feel free to make these nut free by keeping the nuts out of the batter.
Yes, because of the cream cheese frosting you should store these in the refrigerator. Place them in an airtight container and keep chilled until 1 -2 hours before serving.
Carrot Cupcakes freeze beautifully! Place cooled unfrosted cupcakes in freezer bags and store for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight and top with freshly made cream cheese frosting before serving.
Everyone who loves carrot cake FLIPS for these carrot cupcakes! You’ll love the extra moist crumb and the crunch of pecans in every bite.